Three

January 08, 2051- 388 Auxiliary Rd.; Millhaven, Pleasantview

Photobucket

Somehow, this was where Alexei had expected to find Kvornan, perched like a monument in the alleyway behind their home. It was well past ten. The rain spewed forth in grubby sheets, beading on Kvornan's face and eyelashes. His drenched tunic clung to chest, one of the few articles of Fae clothing that he still owned. Alexei drew his collar up around his neck, tossing his sopping wet hair away from his face. This was the remarkable thing about life-- Six months ago, he could have never imagined himself in this moment. He took his place next to Kvornan and cleared his throat before speaking.

Photobucket

"Do you know what I like to do on rainy nights like these? I like to sit outside on a flea-infested mattress, watching a dying lamppost. That's what I like to do. It's funny how much you and I have in common," he said. There was no response. Alexei leaned forward, trying to catch Kvornan's attention as he stared straight ahead. "If I didn't know any better, I would think that you're trying to avoid me. But then, that would be presumptuous of me." Kvornan did not move. The problem seemed to be less that he was ignoring Alexei and more that he simply had not registered the presence of another person. His eyes were wide and unfocused, not merely grim but beleaguered. Alexei had the creeping sensation that he was somehow intruding. He patted his palms against his lap. "Sorry," he muttered. When he went to stand, Kvornan's hand shot out to grab his wrist, urging him to sit back down.

"I would never admit this in mixed company but I like listening to you talk." Kvornan's voice was rushed. Alexei reprised his seat, mystified. Kvornan still had not turned to look at him. Alexei glanced off into the street, nearly believing that Kvornan was watching something. From his time spent traveling with Kvornan, he knew that the man could see things that other people could not. A police speed trap behind a billboard. Another vampire in a rest stop bathroom stall. A field of ripe corn just off the highway. Kvornan's hand slid away from Alexei's wrist. They didn't know one another well but Alexei was finding it increasingly difficult to just stand by while Kvornan deteriorated day by day. Alexei screwed his eyes shut against the rain.

"What are you doing out here, mate?"

"Thinking."

"Couldn't you do that inside where it is warm and dry?" Kvornan did not respond. Alexei wondered briefly if he had sunken back into his vegetative state.

Photobucket

"Why did you decide to turn?" Alexei had not been anticipating that question. Or indeed, any question. He smiled feebly.

"Fear. I was dying. Tuberculosis. You have to be in a pretty special place before vampirism seems like a viable lifestyle choice. Looking back though, it was the right decision for me. That would have been a shit time to die. Every morning I wake up and I know that my best days are still ahead of me. I wasn't so sure back then."

"How can you be sure now?" Kvornan turned towards him, his expression wracked with a quiet disbelief. Alexei nudged him playfully with his shoulder.

"Because."

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm... hearing about why Alexei became a vampire makes me stop and wonder how the story as a whole might have turned out if he hadn't. Everything would have been so different. Alexei is practically a part of Kvornan.

    That being said, I wonder how his siblings were first turned. I always assumed that the three of them were turned together. Were they all sick at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear... What would Kvornan have been like in 2074 if there had never been an Alexei? I can't even imagine how that would have played out. I bet that this is something that Kvornan has pondered a lot over the years.

    Veron asked about Antoine a while back and I still don't have a definite answer as to who turned him or why. O_O He is a very mysterious man, for more reasons than one. He may have been turned by Nephtys (mother of all vampires!) but I can't be sure.

    As for Emilia, Antoine and Alexei turned her collectively. She was debilitatingly depressed over the loss of her young son and her brothers then convinced her to start her life over again with them, forever.

    ReplyDelete